The FAST DANUBE project is part of the Rhine-Danube Core Network Corridor, that represents the backbone of the region from the Black Sea towards the very heart of the European Union. It will accomplish a feasibility study aimed to identify exactly proper technical solutions and to select preferate alternative, which shall be implemented for improving the navigation conditions on the Romania – Bulgarian common sector. Areas which will be covered by this fesability study have been identified as sectors where some of the most critical bottlenecks on the Danube are located. Selecting the most suitable solutions is therefore an important step towards removing existing navigation bottlenecks, with a significant positive impact on the fluvial transport at Danube river scale. Improving navigability will boost also the development of intermodal nodes along the common Romanian-Bulgarian sector for a faster and more efficent way of goods transfer. By improving the navigability conditions on important sectors of the Danube, transport infrastructure will be used more efficiently, both situated directly on the actual waterway and port infrastructure.
Improved navigability on the Danube will have a significant socio-economic impact on the communities from the neighboring regions. It will determine both an economic impact on transport operations and port operating activities and will be a factor of stability in terms of jobs in the affected areas and relative to socio-economic aspects. Business partners from Romania and Bulgaria will be brought closer together leading to a boost of economic exchanges, commerce and transportation between the two countries. The benefits will exceed the regional level, all Danube riparian countries being positively affected by the removal of navigation bottlenecks.
The FAST DANUBE project main objective is to identify the technical solutions to be implemented, in order to ensure navigation conditions on the Romanian-Bulgarian common sector of the Danube and safely conducting the transport activities on Danube throughout the entire year, in accordance with the recommendations of the Danube Commission in Budapest.
- Developing an integrated approach on the Danube by increasing traffic, avoiding any adverse impact on the river and the ecological system;
- Improving the waterway infrastructure with a view to develop the river transport on the Romanian-Bulgarian common sector of the Danube (rkm 845.5 to rkm 375);
- Supporting sustainable transport, encouraging the use of inland waterways transport.
Actions under the project:
- Investigating and developing technical solutions to be included in the feasibility study to ensure stable navigation conditions throughout the year, on the Romanian-Bulgarian common sector of the Danube;
- Identification and preliminary design of the necessary works to eliminate the existing difficult points;
- Carrying out the Environmental Impact Assessment and Appropriate Assessment for developing the documentation in order to obtain the Environmental Agreement;
- Completion of technical specifications for carrying out the works on this sector of the Danube
- Manage the project and disseminate its results